Tuesday, 12 March 2013

WBCOOP - 30: The Highs and Lows of Nut Flushes.


Wow. What an awful way to end the WBCOOP series. I never collected enough chips to make a spacestation-type model, thats for sure.

It was one of those tournaments that will forever confuse me, I went in ahead twice and lost, and went in behind for my whole stack, massively, and won.


It started off pretty poorly, I had hardly took a sip of my tea before my top two pair was completely counterfeit against well disguised three-of-a-kind sevens, and 20% of my stack was begrudgingly shipped to my left. If that was a live game, id have probably grabbed those chips and starts crying. "Please! Dont take them" After all, my main aim was to play tight, not give away pots in the first levels. Well, that worked...

I was stuck between two pretty aggressive players for most of this tournament, and boy, if you haven't tried it, I wouldn't recommend it. Every raise I made was either shoved or hugely raised, and although I had big hands, there was nothing I wanted to put my life on the line for.

Now for the massively overplayed AKs. Mr.Aggro on my right called my pre-flop raise, which immediately got suspicious about, to which I convinced myself he had a big hand. The flop brought 6-4-5, and i convinced myself yet again he had something similar to me, what didnt occur is he might have a high pocket pair, which means id be almost dead with two cards remaining. His min bet brought a shove from me, a very loose shove, and he called. I won't repeat what words come out my mouth, but he flipped 6-7, and an A or K was needed.


Keeping in line with my crazy series so far, the turn gave him a straight, but me a flush draw, and then I hit the river. Phew, that was close. Better play more conservative now, I thought...

It seemed like one big hand per level at present, and when I was dealt 5-8 in the BB, I was happy to call Mr.Aggro's min raise and see a 6-9-4 flop. It went check-check, and 7 diamonds hit the board. It gave me a straight, but three to a flush, nobody likes this scenario. He 3-bet me all in on the turn, and after much deliberation I called, the thinking being that any flush draw he would've bet on the flop, being his aggressive style.



He flipped over AdQh, and he was dead to a diamond. It was a diamond that came, and he got his own back on me, but it didn't stop a bang of the fist from me, coffee exiting my cup in the process.

Being between these two players really stopped me getting anywhere, I would raise the likes of A-10s, or 8-8, and I would be shoved, insta-raised, and I just couldn't call, I wanted to make sure I was ahead.

In fact, all this did was decimate my stack to just 11BB, and a raise from a new-ish player left me no choice but to shove A-Js, only to get 2 callers. 



Automatically knowing I was behind, KK and AK was flipped over. I was pretty much dead to a flush, a nut flush, one that came, and put me back in the chips in the tournament. Somehow. No-one knows how.

Again, I wanted to crack on, but every marginal hand was attacked, as I saw the men around me shatter hopes of others as they called off loose, getting there in extreme fashion.

The next hand I received was QQ, and a pre-flop raise was again called, the flop bring K-2-3 all spades. An awful flop really. He bet 35% of my stack, and with K-4 beating me, 4-5 spades basically drawing me dead, I had to fold, and when he showed 8-9, no spades, my heart dropped, and the .gifd below pretty much explains exactly my emotion at that point.


I hung around in there until I was left with about 7BB, and again I received AJ and threw my chips into the middle. That warranted a call from QQ, and the tournament was over, a respectable 190th from 516. But as i've said before, if its not a cash, its nothing to me.

Big well done to those aggressive players either side of me though, [morrison.18] finished 25th, and [Papa_M-s25] cashed in 81st. 

No comments:

Post a Comment